Mamaroneck House Fire

Six houses were still without power Thursday morning on Prospect Avenue in Mamaroneck, and Con Ed says  it should be resolved by the end of the day.

 

Firefighters were literally standing in the driveway when a house fire broke out at 515 Prospect Avenue Wednesday evening, and they were able to notify the resident and contain the damage to a bathroom. Nobody was injured.

 

Village of Mamaroneck fire chief Dean DeLitta said firefighters were responding to a call of wires burning on an electric pole on Prospect Avenue just before 7 p.m. While they waiting for officials from Con Edison, they noticed smoke coming from a second-floor window across the street from the pole.

 

DeLitta said they entered the house and found a fire in a second-floor bathroom. The resident, who was home at the time, was unaware of the fire, he said.

 

"She didn’t have any idea," DeLitta said. "We knocked down the fire pretty quickly. … I’d say there was minimal damage."

 

DeLitta said he thought the burning wire came into contact with the house feed, which caused the fire.

 

"It made a pretty good explosion," he said.

 

Police blocked off Prospect Avenue between Delancey Avenue and Fenimore Road and diverted traffic. Neighbors said they temporarily lost power, and power was out at Mamaroneck High School for a few minutes, but most of the area was back up and running before 7:30.

1 Comments

  1. Minimal, not really. This incident has caused much damage to several houses on the block. If someone is interested in good investigative reporting here’s your chance….

Leave a comment