Check Out these Volunteers
The Volunteer Center of the United Way annually honors the County’s "leading volunteer initiatives " with the Volunteer Spirit Awards. And this year’s honors went to:
flickr album of awards ceremony
- Going Green Award: – Jennifer Jensen of Larchmont for creating and running the Master Composter and Recycler’s Training program, which has prepared 25 other volunteers to spread the word on “reduce, reuse and recycle” throughout the County – Nominated by Sheldrake Environmental Center
Quality of Life Award: Hilary Ward of Mamaroneck who designed and created an effective tool to help end-of-life ALS patients communicate their needs and feelings – Nominated by Hospice and Palliative Care of Westchester
- · Social Justice Award: Monica Gray of Larchmont has been a steadfast and effective voice for abused children caught up in the legal system as a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) volunteer – Nominated by the Mental Health Association of Westchester County, Inc.
- · Arts Culture and Recreation Award : Vanessa Torres of Harrison, a teenager who has provided musical experiences and lessons as a performer and mentor to over 200 children to help them develop their talent – Nominated by Songcatchers After School Program
- New York Life Youth in Action Award:: Michael Alba, Matthew Bernacchia,and Matthew Arana of Yonkers, three young men from Fordham Prep who can be counted on to deliver hot meals, food packages, a smile and welcome conversation to the homebound elderly – Nominated by Meals on Wheels 10708, Inc
- · New York Life Youth Leader Award: Chantal Noreika of Croton-on-Hudson who has devoted over 250 hours to every aspect of our environment as a role model and leader in the Teens in Teatown volunteer program – Nominated by Teatown Lake Reservation
- Education and Literacy Award: Terry Keith of White Plains for the mentoring, guidance and nurturing she offers as a “surrogate guidance counselor” to help young people prepare for college and for life – Nominated by White Plains Youth Bureau
- Emergency Response Award: Putnam County Demand Response Medical Transportation for providing dependable and affordable rides to doctors’ offices for isolated seniors in rural Putnam County – Nominated by RSVP Putnam County
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.